Thursday, June 24, 2010

An Institution of Revelry

There is a tradition unique to New Orleans called the Second Line. Its roots run rich and it is a custom steeped in history. I believe you will find the history of this practice undeniably gripping. As a native New Orleanian, I am excited to share the distinct background of this institution of revelry. It is a festive ritual in which the majority of New Orleanians have participated in at some time in their life.

Since I am a sixth generation New Orleans native, it never occurred to me that the rest of the world did not participate in this practice. Upon moving to Texas, I found myself a non-traditional student enrolled in college for the first time. In Speech class as I gave my presentation, I thought it would be fun, as well as entertaining to have a few class members Second Line in to the class. My classmates were appalled when I shared with them what I wanted them to do. I was equally dumbfounded, since everyone in New Orleans Second Lines at the drop of a hat. It was one of many culture shocks I would have as a result of leaving the Big Easy.

As I continue to post to my blog concerning the New Orleans Second Line, I hope you will enjoy it, and glean from it. Additionally, I hope you will be compelled to visit New Orleans where you may have the opportunity to experience a Second Line. If you do, you will have availed yourself of the opportunity to participate in a practice dating far back in the annals of America's heritage. As we say in New Orleans " Laissez les bon temps rouler" - that's Cajun French for "Let the Good Times Roll!"



No comments:

Post a Comment